At Least 13 Dead in Vietnam Condo Fire

Several rescues at condo fire in Ho Chi Minh City

 

A boy is rescued from a condominium complex during a fire in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, Friday, March 23, 2018. The fire killed over a dozen people, most of them died of suffocation or jumping from high floors. (VnExpress via AP)

  HANOI, Vietnam (AP) — Residents startled awake by loud noise and smoke signaled for help with lit mobile phones and crawled onto cranes from their balconies to escape a fire Friday at a large condominium complex in southern Vietnam’s Ho Chi Minh City. At least 13 people were killed and 28 injured, with police saying it was unclear if anyone was missing.

State media quoted the city’s police and fire department as saying police rescued more than 100 residents while more than 1,000 escaped the fire themselves.

“I did not hear any alarm or fire signals,” Tuoi Tre newspaper quoted resident Nguyen Ngoc Mai as saying. “Rushing to the balcony, I could not see anything because there was a lot of smoke… I did not know what to do to save my life. Too panicked, but fortunately I was finally rescued.”

“We were awakened by loud noise. We ran out of the apartment but there was a lot of smoke. We only had enough time to grab the mobile phone, wet some towels to cover ourselves and ran out,” online newspaper VnExpress quoted an unnamed male resident as saying.

The three buildings with 14 to 20 floors have more than 700 apartments. They were built six years ago in Vietnam’s southern commercial hub, formerly called Saigon.

State media said most people died of suffocation or jumping from high floors.

The official Vietnam News Agency said more than 200 firefighters worked more than an hour to put the fire under control.

The fire started in the basement garage, with state media saying doors that separated the garage from the upper floors should have been shut, but they were opened, which allowed the smoke to rise to the upper floors.

Tuoi Tre quoted Ho Chi Minh City Mayor Nguyen Thanh Phong as saying he was told by residents that the fire alarm system did not work and residents alerted others to the fire themselves.

The paper also quoted Senior Lieut. Col. Nguyen Thanh Huong, the city’s chief fire officer, as saying previous government regulations allowed fire safety inspections four times a year, but current regulations only allow one inspection a year. It was intended to reduce disturbing residents and businesses, but he said firefighters do not feel safe with the new regulations.

Huong also said there were cases, particularly in cheap condominiums, where inferior alarm systems falsely went off and residents switched it off.

Maj. Gen. Phan Anh Minh, the city’s deputy police chief, told state media that the fire could have started from a motorbike’s electrical system but the possibility of explosions has not been ruled out.

In 2002, a fire at a trade center in downtown Ho Chi Minh City killed 60 people in one of Vietnam’s worst fires. All contents © copyright 2018 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

TOPICS

Several rescues at condo fire in Ho Chi Minh City     HANOI, Vietnam (AP) — Residents startled awake by loud noise and smoke signaled for help with lit mobile phones and crawled onto cranes from their balconies to escape a fire Friday at a large condominium complex in southern Vietnam’s Ho Chi Minh City. […]

Get The RigSpot Newsletter

Related Articles

Fire Engulfs 42-Story High-Rise in China

Fire Engulfs 42-Story High-Rise in China

  BEIJING (AP) — A massive fire sent flames and black smoke pouring Friday from a 42-story skyscraper in central China belonging to the country's largest telecoms operator, but no casualties were reported, officials said. Dozens of floors burned in the China...

Rochester (NY) High-Rise Fire Claimed a Life

Rochester (NY) High-Rise Fire Claimed a Life

Firefighters responded to a high-rise fire in Rochester's Hudson Ridge Towers Tuesday night that killed a man. The fire broke out on the 11th floor of the building around 7 p.m., and by the time crews arrived heavy smoke was pouring from the building, WROC reports. It...

Three Hospitalized After Electrical Fire in PA High-Rise

Three Hospitalized After Electrical Fire in PA High-Rise

According to a report from NBC10, residents of the River Park House condominiums in the Wynnefield Heights neighborhood in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, will be without power and water for at least the next five days after an electrical fire knocked out utilities at the...