A fire that started in the electrical system of a Bethesda high rise on Thursday did $800,000 worth of damage and left three floors of the building uninhabitable.
About a 1,000 people and their pets were evacuated from the 400-unit Grosvenor House around 12:30 p.m., WTOP reported,
Montgomery County Fire spokesman Pete Piringer told WTOP the fire started in an eighth floor electrical utility room, probably when a spark caused an arc in an electrical busway. Damage was confined to the 8th, 9th and 10th floors of the building.
The building’s fire suppression system did activate in the fire. No injuries were reported.